Just a little bit about
Welcome to my website!
Guitar is my main instrument, and I can double on violin, mandolin, bass guitar - anything with strings!
I also sing (lead and harmonies).
I'm a versatile player, comfortable with a wide range of styles and sounds.
Jazz, R&B, funk, blues, rock, country, bluegrass,... I'm your guy.
I've been playing professionally most of my life, which started in Connecticut.
I began playing the violin at age 8, then
picked up the guitar at age 13. My early training was in classical violin
and theory. I developed my guitar chops playing in bands on the East coast.
After several years of playing the clubs in New York City, I moved to Los Angeles,
where I attended Musicians Institute.
I graduated from Musicians Institute with honors, then worked
around Los Angeles as a freelance musician and recording engineer.
In 1990, I escaped to Boulder, Colorado, where I live now.
My main project is Purple Squirrel, an instrumental jazz/funk quartet. I'm the primary composer, and I've written 80+ tunes for this project (52 of them in 2014, one per week!)
You can catch Purple Squirrel playing around Boulder/Denver on a regular basis. Visit our website at www.purplesquirrelmusic.com.
RabbleFish is my newest project. It features original jazz compositions (some of them spontaneous!), a rotating cast of Colorado's finest musicians, taking chances, no safety net. Stay tuned as this project evolves. Visit the website at www.rabblefishmusic.com.
In addition to my own projects, I'm also a busy freelancer. Some of the artists that I perform with are listed below,
and I encourage you to visit their web sites.
Visit my Shows page for a list of past and future live shows.
I've done a lot of studio work (both as a musician and engineer), and some of that work
is listed in my Discography below. My home recording studio can accommodate any type of project - live tracking, overdubs,
rehearsals, CD pre-production, ...
After you've had a look around, visit my Contact page.
Let me know what you think about the site.
And if you're a musician who's interested in gigging, recording or songwriting,
don't hesitate to contact me.
Mike Miller, Jeff Beck, Robben Ford, Michael Landau, Eric Johnson, Buzzy Feiten, Scott Henderson, Steve Khan, John Scofield, Mike Stern, Bill Frisell, Alan Holdsworth, The Hellecasters, Steve Lukather, Tommy Emmanuel, Mike Oldfield, Jimi Hendrix, Pat Metheny, Mark Knophler, Shawn Lane, ...
Don Miguel Ruiz (The Four Agreements),
John Leventhal (producer),
Some of the other artists that I've worked with...
Some of the recordings that I've appeared on († as leader) ...
- Rebecca Folsom, "Extraordinary Days" (2016) - guitar on 1 track
- Lisa Bell, "The Italian Project" (2013) - mandolin on 1 track
- Chris Malley & Bob Schlesinger, "Split Shot" (2012) - guitars, co-writer, co-producer, engineer, all tracks †
- Rebecca Folsom, "Reunion", (2013) - guitar on 1 track
- Rebecca Folsom, "Wild Women", single (2011) - guitar
- Joan Langford, "Dancing In The Kitchen" (2010) - guitar on 10 tracks, mandolin 1 track, vocals 3 tracks
- Rebecca Folsom, "Smoke and Tears", single (2010) - guitars
- Mark McMillen, "Keenyo" (2010) - guitar on 1 track
- KBCO,"Bolder Boulder Bootlegs Volume 7" compilation (2010) - guitar on 1 track (Choosing June)
- Choosing June, "Choosing June" (2009) - guitar on 8 tracks, mandolin 2 tracks
- Quiz Dog Productions, "Alien Probe - The Musical!" film soundtrack (2009) - guitar, bass, sequencing, engineering.
- Deborah Stafford, R&B corporate demo (2008) - guitar on 4 tracks
- Nina Storey, "It's Your Birthday" single, English & Spanish versions (2008) - guitar
- Rebecca Folsom, "Water On Stone" (2008) - guitar on 12 tracks, mandolin 1 track, co-writer 3 tracks, co-arranger 1 track
- The Mountain (99.5 FM),"Mountain Homegrown Volume 6" compilation (2007) - guitar on 1 track (Rebecca Folsom)
- Blue Sky Bridge Acoustic Harvest, compilation (2007) - guitar on 1 track (Rebecca Folsom)
- Quiz Dog Productions, "Signs of the Time" film soundtrack (2007) - composer, sound designer
- Jim Cohn, "Homage" (2007) - guitar on 9 tracks
- Nina Storey, "Rocks To Throw" single (2007) - electric guitars
- Various artists, "Songs By The Fireplace" compilation (2007) - guitar on 1 track (Rebecca Folsom)
- Nina Storey, "Hard" (2006) - acoustic and electric guitars
- Quiz Dog Productions, "The Six Cents" film soundtrack (2006) - co-composer, sound designer
- Martian Acres, "From Waltz to War" (2006) - mandolin on 1 track, mixed 1 track
- Quiz Dog Productions, "Foo Foo" film soundtrack (2006) - composer
- Quiz Dog Productions, "The Mileage High Club" film soundtrack (2005) - composer
- Various artists, "Boulder Cuvée Volume2" compilation (2005) - guitar on 1 track (Rebecca Folsom)
- Reese's Monkey, "Bigger Than It Looks" (2004) - guitar, producer, engineer, all tracks †
- Rebecca Folsom, "Shine" (2004) - guitar on 2 tracks, co-writer on 2 tracks, co-arranger on 2 tracks
- The Mountain (99.5 FM),"Mountain Homegrown Volume 2" compilation (2004) - guitar on 1 track (Rebecca Folsom)
- The Turkey Jammers, "Turkey Jam 2004" (2004) - guitar on all tracks †
- Mojo Watson, "Black Beauty" (2004) - background vocals on "You're The One I Love"
- The Turkey Jammers, "Turkey Jam 2003" (2003) - guitar on all tracks †
- Rebecca Folsom, "Across The Sky" (2001) - co-arranger on 1 track
- Various artists, "Songs From The Hill" (2001) - guitar on 1 track (Rebecca Folsom)
- Eric Baines, "Different Kinds of People" (2000) - guitar on 2 tracks
- Rebecca Folsom & Milestone, "Many Miles" (1999) - guitar on 6 tracks
- Reese's Monkey, "Live at Penny Lane" (1997) - guitar, producer, engineer, all tracks †
- DP Waldman, "Just Dancers" (1990) - guitar on 1 track
- Private Stock, "Private Stock" (1989) - guitar on all tracks
- The Bugz, "Musicians Institute Student Album" (1988) - guitar on 1 track
- English Eyes, "Stand" EP (1987) - guitar on all tracks